Re: OT: setting up public wifi

On Tue, Jan 28, 2014 at 3:46 PM, Jerry Stuckle <jstuckle@attglobal.net> wrote:
On 1/28/2014 1:42 PM, Rob Owens wrote:
I need to set up wifi in a church, and share the wifi with the rectory
(a separate building).  I've been doing some research, but am looking
advice to help me get through this quicker.
<snip>

Rob,

What's your background in such technologies, i.e. rf, hot spot creation/management, etc.?

I have enough background that I know I can do this if I was willing to drill holes and run wire, which I've done plenty of times before.  But I'm trying to make this as easy as possible.  I've never used a wireless range extender, but maybe I'll just buy one and try it out.

When I said "general public", I should have said "congregation".  This is for members of the church.  That could be several hundred people.  The guest account would be password protected, but I have realistic expectations of how secret that password will be.  In any case, the church is in a semi-rural area and is surrounded by empty land on all sides, so there is no general public except for the people in the church.

My worst case scenario is probably some kind of event at the church where 100 people with smart phones all want to check their email.  Most of the time it'll just be 3 office computers being used for church business.

-Rob