Re: OT: setting up public wifi

On 1/28/2014 1:42 PM, Rob Owens wrote:
I need to set up wifi in a church, and share the wifi with the rectory
(a separate building).  I've been doing some research, but am looking
advice to help me get through this quicker.

Here's what I'm thinking about so far:

1)  Get a router that has a "guest" account, or some other internet-only
connection mode.  The church offices will be using the same network, so
I want to keep the general public from doing things like accessing file
shares, using printers, etc.  I probably want one with dual antennas,
and at least one must be detachable so I can hook up an outdoor antenna
(see #2, below).

2)  Use an outdoor antenna to send signal to the rectory.  I'm not sure
of the exact distance yet (because I'm not sure where it will be
possible to mount the antenna), but it should be no more than 150 feet.
Here's a link to the antenna I've been thinking about:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833995096

3)  If signal in the rectory is weak, use a range extender in the
rectory, possibly with an outdoor antenna.  The rectory is small and
won't need more than a single access point.

4)  In the church I will need to use either range extenders or multiple
access points.  Maximum bandwidth is not as high a priority as being
able to handle many users.  So I'm not sure if it makes sense to go with
the 802.11n 150 mbps or 300 mbps.  And I'm not sure if I should go the
easy route and use range extenders or if I should hard wire multiple
access points to the router.

Here are some of the range extenders and access points I've been looking at:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833704192
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833704187
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833704048
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA24G1732603

5)  The church has concrete floors and outside walls.  An addition was
recently built, and a couple of the old concrete outside walls are now
inside walls.  The rest of the inside walls are sheetrock.  The addition
has drop ceiling tiles, so I can run some wires up there.  That won't be
possible in the old part of the church.  The rectory is wood frame
construction with vinyl siding over plywood, and sheetrock interior walls.

I'd appreciate any advice you guys can give.

-Rob

Rob,

What's your background in such technologies, i.e. rf, hot spot creation/management, etc.?

You've got a number of potential problems here - from the concrete walls and area you need to cover to licensing (access points may not be legal with an external antenna, depending on the AP and the country you are in). On top of that, if it's a public hot spot, you need to add blocking for several ports, i.e. port 25 to prevent your AP from becoming a spam source (and both spammers and hackers look for unsecured networks to do their dirty work).

To give you good advice would require a qualified technician to examine the site and provide recommendations. You might be able to get by with trial and error, but I suspect you're going to spend a lot of time trying to get it to work.

Sorry to be a bit negative - but there are some things that just can't be handled effectively in a newsgroup.

Jerry