Re: chronyd startup issues

* Darac Marjal wrote on 2014-01-29 at 10:22 (+0000):

> On Wed, Jan 29, 2014 at 12:06:13AM -0800, Marc Shapiro wrote:
> > When my system boots up it starts chronyd.  The problem is
> > that it seems to not have (or find) a network connection at
> > the time, so it comes up in offline mode.  If I restart it
> > then everything is fine.  Otherwise, the box gradually loses
> > time.  Since I rarely reboot my system I always forget that I
> > need to restart chronyd.  What do I need to do to get it to
> > start up in online mode?  Do I need to position it farther
> > down in /etc/rc2.d?  I thought that I had changed it to run
> > AFTER network-manager, but, if so, something changed it back.
>
> Chrony will put "offline" sources to "online" when a PPP link
> comes up (any PPP link, bug #252131) but not when an ethernet
> link comes up (bug #312092).
>
> If you like, there are instructions and a patch in bug #389961
> to fix this.

Yes, but expect some tricky fiddling :-)

However, comparing the bug history - some of chrony's ones
haven't been handled or closed for 5+ years, also the relevant
ones here - and the number of users of chrony (847) and openntpd
(1902), I strongly suggest you considering a switch to the
openntpd package.

Regards,
Mathias