grub rescue

well I had an interesting evening yesterday.. I spent most of the day trying to do an upgrade to jessie from wheezy. after all was said & done & I rebooted, I got a black screen. tried the rescue mode, same thing. So I tried to restore using my clonezilla backup. after restoring the partition & rebooting I got an error and it dropped me to grub-rescue prompt, with an error like: error: file '/boot/grub/i386-pc/normal.mpp' not found grub rescue>. No help, "?" all I could do was ls. Not having a computer nearby to google, I just re-installed wheezy. I have linux installed on multiple partitions, on both of my internal drives, and also Windows 7.
I have restored before using clonezilla, so I'm not exactly sure what I did different this time, or how to get it booted..

--
Paul Cartwright