Re: grub efi does not find windows

On Wed, Jan 29, 2014 at 09:29:07AM +0100, berenger.morel@neutralite.org wrote:

> Le 28.01.2014 16:16, Chris Bannister a écrit :
> >On Tue, Jan 28, 2014 at 11:47:33AM +0100,
> >berenger.morel@neutralite.org wrote:
> >>Thanks in advance for any hint about how to make me able to boot
> >>windows anew.
> >
> >Is os-prober installed?
> >
> >--
> >"If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the
> >people
> >who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the
> >oppressing." --- Malcolm X
>
> It is, but does not seems to be able to detect windows. And since
> this tool does have no manpage, I have no idea about how to have any
> information about why.

OK. Having a quick look around, /usr/bin/os-prober is a shell script, so
finding out what it does shouldn't be TOO difficult. Indeed, after a
minute or so of looking at what files it imports and such like, I found
/usr/lib/os-probes/mounted/20microsoft (note: that's not a typo.
os-probes, not os-prober).

Taking a quick look at that file, the requirements appear to be:
 * Not running Grub-PC on an EFI machine (for that, you probably need
   grub-efi and set things up differently)
 * The partition must be ntfs or fat (various drivers supported)
 * There must be a "bootmgr" file and a boot directory
 * Each file in the boot directory is checked for "Windows 8", "Windows
   7" etc and if found, you get a grub entry for that

Logging for os-prober is done using the "logger" program, so check your
syslog after running 'os-prober' to see if that gives any more clues.