Re: Help with command - cp

Le 26.01.2014 15:26, Lisi Reisz a écrit :
I am wanting to use the CLI to copy some files from dirA to dirB.  I
want to exclude all hidden files.  Will this command achieve it? :--

cp -Rp /path/to/sourcedir/A/* /path/to/destinationdir/B

Thanks,
Lisi

Just a note, too late but it could help later too, for another problem.

What I would have made is a quick and dirty method: first a classic copy ( I do not know rsync too )
$cp -r ~/foo ~/bar

And then:
$ cd ~/bar && rm `find -name '.*'`

Indeed, it have really poor performances (in term of computer ones), since some files are first copied and then deleted, but it should work ( did not tried, actually ) and does not require any learning except the very basic use of find, in case you do not already know it. Could be made in a better way of the same direction, maybe by using find to select stuff to copy, but I take for sure that the lines will be quite more complex, as find is a really powerful tool, but it's man is not really clear about how to do stuff which could be considered basic. I can remember having some pain with it for more complex things like excluding some directories and only selecting files with different extensions.

Note that folders . and .. can not be removed so you will warnings, but those are simply warnings.

This is just another (and a dirty one) way to do the thing you needed :)