Re: i915: wheezy / jessie freeze under X

Hello Chris

The global information right after these introduction lines
detailed information within your mail: answer after each question
(console rights, recovery mode & xkbcomp)

regards,
ralf

--
I downgraded to pure Jessie, here the proof, whole command-lines ;-)

ralf@debian:~$ cat /etc/apt/sources.list
deb http://ftp.fr.debian.org/debian/ jessie main contrib non-free
deb http://security.debian.org/ jessie/updates main contrib non-free

ralf@debian:~$ ls -al /etc/apt/sources.list.d/
total 8
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 janv. 29 07:48 .
drwxr-xr-x 6 root root 4096 janv. 29 07:49 ..

NB: I was using deb-multimedia 'cause their ffmpeg version
is compiled with apple's codecs, I transcode videos for Mac

ralf@debian:~$ apt-cache policy
Fichiers du paquet :
 100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
     release a=now
 500 http://security.debian.org/ jessie/updates/non-free Translation-en
 500 http://security.debian.org/ jessie/updates/main Translation-en
 500 http://security.debian.org/ jessie/updates/contrib Translation-en
1010 http://security.debian.org/ jessie/updates/non-free amd64 Packages
     release o=Debian,a=testing,n=jessie,l=Debian-Security,c=non-free
     origin security.debian.org
1010 http://security.debian.org/ jessie/updates/contrib amd64 Packages
     release o=Debian,a=testing,n=jessie,l=Debian-Security,c=contrib
     origin security.debian.org
1010 http://security.debian.org/ jessie/updates/main amd64 Packages
     release o=Debian,a=testing,n=jessie,l=Debian-Security,c=main
     origin security.debian.org
 500 http://ftp.fr.debian.org/debian/ jessie/non-free Translation-en
 500 http://ftp.fr.debian.org/debian/ jessie/main Translation-fr
 500 http://ftp.fr.debian.org/debian/ jessie/main Translation-en
 500 http://ftp.fr.debian.org/debian/ jessie/contrib Translation-en
1010 http://ftp.fr.debian.org/debian/ jessie/non-free amd64 Packages
     release o=Debian,a=testing,n=jessie,l=Debian,c=non-free
     origin ftp.fr.debian.org
1010 http://ftp.fr.debian.org/debian/ jessie/contrib amd64 Packages
     release o=Debian,a=testing,n=jessie,l=Debian,c=contrib
     origin ftp.fr.debian.org
1010 http://ftp.fr.debian.org/debian/ jessie/main amd64 Packages
     release o=Debian,a=testing,n=jessie,l=Debian,c=main
     origin ftp.fr.debian.org
Paquets épinglés :

--

root@debian:/home/ralf# ls -al /dev/tty[0-6]
crw------- 1 root root 4, 0 janv. 29 08:09 /dev/tty0
crw-rw---- 1 root tty  4, 1 janv. 29 08:09 /dev/tty1
crw-rw---- 1 root tty  4, 2 janv. 29 08:09 /dev/tty2
crw-rw---- 1 root tty  4, 3 janv. 29 08:09 /dev/tty3
crw-rw---- 1 root tty  4, 4 janv. 29 08:09 /dev/tty4
crw-rw---- 1 root tty  4, 5 janv. 29 08:09 /dev/tty5
crw-rw---- 1 root tty  4, 6 janv. 29 08:09 /dev/tty6

ralf@debian:~$ ls -al /dev/tty[0-6]
crw------- 1 root root 4, 0 janv. 29 08:09 /dev/tty0
crw-rw---- 1 root tty  4, 1 janv. 29 08:09 /dev/tty1
crw-rw---- 1 root tty  4, 2 janv. 29 08:09 /dev/tty2
crw-rw---- 1 root tty  4, 3 janv. 29 08:09 /dev/tty3
crw-rw---- 1 root tty  4, 4 janv. 29 08:09 /dev/tty4
crw-rw---- 1 root tty  4, 5 janv. 29 08:09 /dev/tty5
crw-rw---- 1 root tty  4, 6 janv. 29 08:09 /dev/tty6

> Still not sure what you mean by "launch X in recovery mode

In order to use the keyboard, I need to start in recovery mode.
If I start through standard init scripts, in default level 2,

I receive mapping warnings & errors from xkbcomp, which end with loosing
the ability to use the keyboard (as soon as X has begun to run), I
explained this

message-id
[🔎] CAJVhHMggg=YGhN5XDUiuw47o35jqPn=YdLhP_ou7aK=X1m9h5g@mail.gmail.com

[it looks like there were two issues: the virtual console tty0 &
xkbcomp]