Re: i915: wheezy / jessie freeze under X

On Mon, Jan 27, 2014 at 11:53:28AM +0100, Ralf wrote:
> >         Could you explain this a litte better? Which file did you
> >         chmod, and how
> >         do you launch X in recovery mode?
>
> under init2/3 here are the laptop's values:
>
> tty [1-6] have group set "tty" in "rw"
> tty0 remains set on root, without group privilege
> I aligned this for tty0, which made it
>
> (it looks like the system "forgets" to adjust tty0)

Please show *exact* commands and output.

I'm guessing you mean these:
root@tal:~# ls -al /dev/tty[0-6]
crw------- 1 root   root 4, 0 Jul 15  2013 /dev/tty0
crw------- 1 root   tty  4, 1 Jan 28  2014 /dev/tty1
crw------- 1 chrisb tty  4, 2 Jan 28 19:18 /dev/tty2
crw------- 1 chrisb tty  4, 3 Jan 28 19:54 /dev/tty3
crw------- 1 chrisb tty  4, 4 Jan 28 19:25 /dev/tty4
crw------- 1 chrisb tty  4, 5 Jan 28 13:09 /dev/tty5
crw------- 1 chrisb tty  4, 6 Jan 28 19:50 /dev/tty6

If I log out of tty3 then:
crw------- 1 root   tty  4, 1 Jan 28 20:00 /dev/tty1
crw------- 1 chrisb tty  4, 2 Jan 28 19:59 /dev/tty2
crw-rw---- 1 root   tty  4, 3 Jan 28 20:00 /dev/tty3
crw------- 1 chrisb tty  4, 4 Jan 28 19:25 /dev/tty4
crw------- 1 chrisb tty  4, 5 Jan 28 13:09 /dev/tty5
crw------- 1 chrisb tty  4, 6 Jan 28 20:00 /dev/tty6

Still not sure what you mean by "launch X in recovery mode

> >         > I was using wheezy, plus deb-multimedia & mozilla-esr.
> >         > I upgraded and dist-upgraded to jessie, but the issue
> >         remains.
> >         > Default amd64 kernel config.
>
> >         What is the output of:
> >         root@tal:~# cat /etc/apt/sources.list
> deb http://ftp.fr.debian.org/debian/ jessie main contrib non-free
> deb http://security.debian.org/ jessie/updates main contrib non-free
> deb http://www.deb-multimedia.org/ jessie main non-free

It's difficult to diagnose where the trouble is if you have 3rd party
repositories in use. For example, if you think you have found a bug in
packageA which is from Debian but depends on packageB from a 3rd party
repository then the bug report for packageA won't even be looked at!

So can you get your system to a state where there are no 3rd party
packages installed, and see if the problem still exists?

Note: Due to the way deb-multimedia.org versions their packages, it is
not as simple as just removing the entry from the sources list,
unfortunately. The package wll have to be purged then installed from the
Debian repos.

I am curious ... what package(s) are you using from deb-multimedia.org
which isn't available from ftp.fr.debian.org?

> >         root@tal:~# ls -al /etc/apt/sources.list.d/
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root  176 déc.  21 00:41 google-chrome.list

If removing the deb-multimedia.org repo doesn't fix it, then you'll have
to remove that as well. This is only for testing purposes, once you have
a working system, then you can start adding packages the missing
packages one by one to see when the problem starts again.

> >         root@tal:~# apt-cache policy
> Fichiers du paquet :
>  100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
>      release a=now
>  500 http://dl.google.com/linux/chrome/deb/ stable/main amd64 Packages
>      release v=1.0,o=Google, Inc.,a=stable,n=stable,l=Google,c=main
>      origin dl.google.com

Well, here you have the stable repository, but the rest are for jessie.
They should all be the same (unless you're using apt-pinning?)

oppressing." --- Malcolm X