Re (2): POP3 softwares.

Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2014 18:18:29 +0900
From: Osamu Aoki <osamu_aoki_home@nifty.com>
> ??? Why bother with qpopper.  It is a local mbox.

Ideally the one mbox should work, but I'm not sure that the MUA and
getmail will each respect access by the other.  qpopper will respect
getmail in access to the mbox and respond to the MUA with POP3. This
at the cost of a second mbox and delays up to the retrieval interval
of qpopper.

Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2014 07:54:08 +0000
From: <art.istom@yandex.ru>
> I'am using popa3d (Tiny POP3 daemon, designed with security as the
> primary goal) and stunnel for SSL on server-side ...

Thanks.  Stunnel appears to be the right answer here.  The example
in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stunnel with substitution of POP3
for SMTP, is exactly the scenario I've described.

Further, the SMTP example allows the MUA to submit to the remote mail
server directly rather than through exim4 on localhost.  The whole
setup is simpler with Stunnel.

From: Martin Steigerwald <Martin@lichtvoll.de>
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2014 13:24:16 +0100
> Move to a MUA which can do SSL/TLS.

If Stunnel fails I'll consider that.

Thanks to everyone for all the feedback,            ... Peter E.

--
123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 12
Tel +1 360 639 0202  http://carnot.yi.org/