Re: fastest linux distro

Le 25.01.2014 03:17, tom arnall a écrit :
I am looking for the fastest Linux distro for the following purposes.

System:

Dell latitude D630
dual core
2g memory

most used applications:

icewm
gnome-terminal
vim
perl
chrome browser
transmission

Currently I am running ubuntu 12.04. I am unhappy with the speed of it.

Any info/suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

We can not reply to your question, because it is incomplete.

All distros make a choice between:
* time the user have to spend to install, configure and maintain,
* user's knowledge,
* freshness of packages ( with problems of too recent or too old softwares, indeed )
* effective speed of the system.

Debian is interesting, and maybe the best choice for my needs, because it allows me to tinker a lot to have a minimal system. Install it without any option at first, then on your first run, just use aptitude, disable "automatically install recommended softwares" and select the tools you need one by one. If you wants it on your desktop, for simple uses which are not critical, testing is very good: less outdated than stable, and I have seen less breakages than in unstable, and those breakages are probably due to the fact I am a dependency nazi. I send every package I do not know why they are on my system in the void, which can happen to break features I need, but I have seen lot of powerful computers running so slowly compared to my netbook... Also, if you want speed, forget about classic DEs: unity, gnome, kde are not built for speed, they are built to be easy to use. You want speed? You have to take time to discover exactly which features you need, and to select softwares which does not implement features you do not need.
My personal choices:
opera ( web browsing ), lxterminal, i3-wm ( if you are a keyboard lover and have more than one screen - or only small ones - then you *need* it ) , mpd, mpc, ncmpcpp, galculator, vim, transmission, skype, mumble, clang, git, meld, dia and ssh, aptitude, lilo, and some games. Probably some other minor tools, too, for programming. This selection implied lot of time spent into removing bloated stuff like file explorers, in testing ( I spent the most time testing web browsers, text editors, terminal emulators and window managers ). Using a mix between stable and testing on my desktop (I need at least a computer to be usable everytime ), and unstable/experimental on my netbook.

If you have plenty of time and knowledge, you can try LFS ( linux from scratch ) or gentoo. But since you come from Ubuntu, I very doubt that it can be recommended to you. Those distros* needs a deep knowledge of internals of your computer. They'll require you to compile everything** so you will be able to select the exact optimization options you want and the precise instruction set of your processor. You will earn some CPU cycles ( I *did not* said that this will be measurable )... but will spend hours to get them. Those options are the fastest distros you could have. It will also give you the really last version of softwares, since it is built from source directly, so you can even choose to build from development repositories. There are some other source distros around: source mage, sorcerer, funtoo...

Then, you have some distros like archlinux, which needs a little less knowledge, but still lot of time. Arch is a rolling release distro, with the problems it gives: when you update your system, you *have to* read the notes, or it can break everything. Some will say I troll, and some others will give you real stories about such failures. AFAIK, fedora needs far less time and is more stable, but since I was never really interested by it, I can not give you any opinion about it ( I have at least tried to install each other I speak about here ).

And you came from Ubuntu, which, with some others like mint, is only built to give an easy to use system, with almost no administration tasks. You can not have something tailored for your needs with such mind, but you won't have any brain damage to choose between alternatives for your software, or by trying to configure them. On this list, we probably have ours brains a little damaged, especially people which used Debian in it's first days ;) freedom can hurt, you know.

So, really, you did not asked your question correctly.
How many time do you have?
How many knowledge do you have?
Do you need shiny, very recent softwares?
Do you prefer stable stuff or fast ones?

To conclude this long mail, I will give you a link:
http://www.zegeniestudios.net/ldc/index.php

This is a website which will asks you the same questions as me, plus some others, and which will give you some hint about what distro could be the good one for your needs. Just note that it is not really a very recent test, and it have been made by humans and so results contains opinions. You can also use distrowatch to read a little about the distros it will advice you to use, and/or wikipedia articles about them. This way, you will have an idea of the picture, and may be able to have a not too bad choice.

*: note that LFS is not a real distro, but a book about how to build your own distro **: I have read that, for gentoo, there are now some packages with binaries, so not really everything...