Re: fastest linux distro

On 01/24/2014 09:17 PM, tom arnall wrote:
I am looking for the fastest Linux distro for the following purposes.

System:

Dell latitude D630
dual core
2g memory

most used applications:

icewm
gnome-terminal
vim
perl
chrome browser
transmission

Currently I am running ubuntu 12.04. I am unhappy with the speed of it.

Any info/suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Altho I am not familiar with the Dell D630, I have a Dell laptop, probably 7 or so years old, in which Dell swears you can only have 2GB ram. I discovered you can physically put 4GB in it, and I did so. This model can only access a little over 3GB, but I can tell you that it made a very noticeable difference in the performance of Windows 7 Pro. I didn't notice any difference in my Linux performance, but it never seemed slow in the first place. Running PCLinuxOs-KDE-32-bit. If you're lucky, your machine may have the capability of running a PAE kernel, and then you could access a full 4GB. Do a little homework on the model--outside of Dell--and I bet you'll find
you can put more memory in it.

--doug