Re: Confused about dist-upgrade

Thanks to all who have chimed in!

On Thu, 23 Jan 2014, Klaus wrote:

When for instance a new version of an already installed package depends on a previously not installed library, then "apt-get update" cannot update this pkg. You need "dist-upgrade" for that job.

Aha. Thx for the RTFM; I had just reviewed 'man apt-get.' I see now what I have been missing: the import of the "kept back" packages mentioned by apt when I do an upgrade

At any rate, to move from, say, squeeze, to wheezy, my approach would be to edit my sources.list, replacing all instances of "squeeze" with "wheezy", and then running

# apt-get update
# apt-get dist-upgrade

That as far as memory serves -- which is getting shakier and shakier with the advance of years :-( -- is what has worked in the past.

Best,

--
IMPORTANT: This email is intended for the use of the individual
addressee(s) named above and may contain information that is