Re: Install Debian on SD

Ahoj,

Dňa Wed, 22 Jan 2014 10:57:27 -0700 Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> napísal:

> I wouldn't say the slower device is of lower quality.  By quality I
> was referring to the internal spares and firmware for managing them
> for wear leveling.  A good quality card should last through a lot of
> write cycles.  A poor quality card might die due to being worn out
> very quickly due to not having good wear leveling.

You are right. No discussion :-)

I want to point, that there are differences between cards marked with
the same class.

> The class 4 device is slower.  The class 10 device is faster.  And
> whether they have good quality firmware and internal spares with good
> wear leveling is completely unknown from the outside.

Sure, speed has nothing with quality - it is only one from many
parameters taking into play. But for my purposes (electronic playing)
the speed is more important than long life. ;-)

But... I have no plenty different SD cards to take own measurement and
make own comparison. But if you take look into
http://elinux.org/RPi_SD_cards (SD card performance section) and sort
table by speed, you can see, that there are some Class 4 cards in order
between Class 10 cards. Then you are right, but there are exceptions.
But the SD card R/W speed can be affected the reading device too.

regards

--
Slavko
http://slavino.sk