Re: Install Debian on SD

Hi,

Dňa Tue, 21 Jan 2014 16:19:42 -0700 Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> napísal:

> James Kirk wrote:
> > I would like to install debian on a SD (I've only a Company laptop
> > and I would like to not modify the standard configuration).
>
> Sounds reasonable to me.
>
> > Since SD is a flash memory and - as far as I know - it has a limited
> > lifetime (in terms of I/O) not thought to run an OS,
>
> The quality of the SD depends upon the vendor.  And unfortunately it
> is a "market for lemons" in that it is difficult for consumers to know
> which are better than others.  But AFAIK most SD cards do implement at
> least some internal spares and wear leveling.

I have one RasPi device. I have second SD card Class 10 now. The disk
(SD card) I/O is slow, but with the first card was even slower. The
second one i was selecting by exact type from user's experiences
(measurement) shared on the eLinux.org wiki. The first SD card (slower)
i choose by price... ;-)

> Talking about tuning the Raspbery Pi folks set vm.swappiness=1 which I
> disagree with.  I suggest using the Linux upstream default of
> vm.swappiness=60 or even higher.  Proponents of disabling program swap
> by setting it low say that they never want to swap.  I have the
> opposite viewpoint.  The point is to use the existing ram most
> effectively.  If that means using ram for file system buffer cache

It depends. I have 1 in /proc/sys/vm/swappiness (on RasPi) and for more
month the swap usage is 0. In other words - for my purposes there is a
plenty of RAM. On my home computer i have 10, with no swap usage...

--
Slavko
http://slavino.sk