Re: Connot load Wheezy in a "virgin" desktop -- FAILURE

On Jan 18, 2014 4:00 AM, "cletusjenkins" <cletusjenkins@zoho.com> wrote:

> For performance reasons I typically make a smallish, unencrypted root partition that only contains the OS.

I did do that, plus for /boot.

> After installing everything, I then go back and create encrypted filesystems for things like /home, /tmp, /srv and when I'm being particularly paranoid all of /var or various part(s) of it.

My final partition configuration encrypted only swap.  I was unable to get a working encrypted /tmp partition; so for my most recent installation /tmp is not encrypted.  I never got to the point of encrypting anything else after the most recent installation, but I want to encrypt /tmp and /home.

> I've seen a lot of weirdness out of X when /tmp is full so /tmp not mounted properly might be the reason you are having so much problems with X.

The /tmp partition is 1 gb; I have yet to see it anything close to full.  In any event its contents are completely deleted at each boot.

> Very weird issues can occur with flaky hardware, so I would suggest either doing a vanilla install of debian or some other OS to test the system out. You can install memtest86, bonnie++ and boinc/setiathome to give the system a real workout and see if they can cause errors to occur. If everything goes smoothly then there must be something in how you are going about the encryption during the install.

I stopped using encryption during install except for swap.  On all the boots after the last installation there was no negative message about the state of swap.

> I would echo the others and suggest you simplify what you are attempting, get that to work, then add on additional tweaks.

That is what I did do during the 21 days following the original setup of the hardware and still do not have a fully operational system.

> If not so smooth then you'll have to go down the ugly road of swapping out parts to figure out what hardware is bad.

I am on that ugly road now; there does not seem to be any other option.

Ken Heard