Re: Connot load Wheezy in a "virgin" desktop -- FAILURE

On Jan 18, 2014 12:00 PM, "Joel Rees" <joel.rees@gmail.com> wrote:

> I think I'd have given up on the hardware within the first several
> days, and be trying to get my money back or get an exchange.

I am checking out the hardware now.

> Looking at the problems, I would lean towards issues in the CPU
> itself, or, if you have hardware encryption in the chipset, I'd be
> looking that direction.

Hardware encryption may be there, but whether or not I would not use it.

Or maybe at the stupid UEFI not being able to
> get out of the way.

The mainboard is a Gigabyte GA-Z87N and the CPU is an Intel i5-4670K, both with overclocking capability which I am not using and don't intend to.  The GPU is integrated in the CPU.  The chipset is an Intel Z87N.

I discovered that there is a newer kernel in wheezy-backports which I want to install.  In fact when months ago I asked the Debian user list about the suitability of that board and CPU for wheezy I was told that both will probably work but the not necessarily at full capacity with the default kernel shipped with wheezy.

As for the UEFI, the mainboard BIOS allows three options: UEFI, plain Jane BIOS or both.  When I discovered that UEFI in Debian is still a work in progress I set the mainboard BIOS to the plain Jane  option.

> Or the chipset may be so new it's not fully supported.

Possibly.

> CPU, chipset, controllers -- model numbers, etc.? Did you post those
> in the first thread?

Yes I did, and repeated above.  In addition there are two Seagate 2 tb HDDs to be part of RAID1 which did not work.

> Did  you try to boot a live CD or DVD? Say, a Knoppix or Fedora live
> image? (Can you get one there?)

Answer to the first question is no, to the second one yes.  I wonder whether doing so would tell me anything I don't already know.  As I was working through the partitioning options I stopped the installation short of installing startx and a DE.  At that point I had a workable command line box, but without RAID, LVM, etc.

As a response to the post from Diogene Laerce in the next day or two I will summarize the problems remaining and how I discovered them.  Of interest is the fact that I do finally have a working DE, which strangely enough is kde-trinity; but I will not be satisfied until the other remaining problems are resolved somehow.

Ken