Re: update flash

On 20140116_101618, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> On Mi, 15 ian 14, 19:06:12, Patrick Bartek wrote:
> >
> > Query:  Wouldn't apt-get update and upgrade do the same
> > thing, if there were a new security update?  And if you have
> > the nonfree repo enabled, of course.
>
> apt-get only understands package (as in .deb) versions, so if a newer
> flashplugin-nonfree package is available for you it will be installed.
> It is then up to the package to update the plugin as well (which I
> believe it does).
>
> Kind regards,
> Andrei

I don't understand the exact workings of the flash player install process,
but ...

After reading earlier posts in this thread, I ran --status and
discovered that I was running a version of flash player that was two
digits behind the most recent Adobe for Linux version. I did have the
most recent version of the flashplugin-nonfree package, but I had not
recently run update-flashplugin-nonfree, which is the name of the
actual executable program installed by the package named
flashplugin-nonfree. Or perhaps there is some other, more accurate
explanation, but my impression was that a new version was downloaded
from Adobe web site only after I ran a program with a different name,
not downloaded automatically. I think I may have upgraded, which is
all the user must do for almost all packages to be installed, but
flash player is special and needs a special non-automatic step.

YMMV
--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net