Re: permissions: can you force ACL to be effective over unix perms?

I've followed the posts in this thread, dealing with the various
tangents it's taken won't help you, probably the reason why it's
received little attention.

On 11/01/14 10:50, Bob Goldberg wrote:
> running wheezy.
>
> I have a dir w/ unix perm = 750
> IE:
> root@wheezy:/home/chtest/home# ls -l
> drwxr-s---  3 root    chadm 4096 Jan  9 14:12 ftptest
>
> I added an acl g perm using: # setfacl -m g:chadm:rwx ftptest
> this, unfortunately, changes unix perm to = 770
> IE:  V
> drwxrWs---+ 3 root    chadm 4096 Jan  9 14:12 ftptest
>
> I then re-removed unix g w perm: # chmod g-w ftptest
> IE:
> drwxr-s---+ 3 root    chadm 4096 Jan  9 14:12 ftptest
>
> This action causes unix perms to OVERRIDE acl perms - NOT what I want

Then you'll have to find another way to achieve what you want.

*ACL should never override UNIX perms*. And they can't - if they did it
'would' be a bug.

<snipped>

> shouldn't acl ALWAYS override unix perms?

NO.  I'm sorry about your confusion, probably due to differences between
the Windows system and UNIX. File attributes are not the same as UNIX
permissions.

Kind regards.