Re: How to patch files in a package's debian directory

On Mon, Jan 13, 2014 at 03:49:46PM +0100, Malte Forkel wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm testing some changes to an existing package which is using format
> 3.0 (quilt). I have split my changes into two patches: One modifies the
> original source, one adapts files in the debian directory.
>
> This approach fails when I build the package due to the way dpkg-source
> build the source package. As described in dpkg-source(1), it extracts
> the original tarball into a temporary directory, copies the existing
> debian directory and then applies all patches. But since the files in
> debian have already been patched, dpkg-source fails because my second
> patch can not be applied twice.

There may be a better way, but I've used apt-build in the past to do
something similar. I ran

apt-build source pkg-name

to download the sources. Then I modified them how I wanted, and then
ran

apt-build install pkg-name

This is from memory, but I'm 98% sure that's how it went. HTH.

Greg

--
web site: http://www.gregn..net
gpg public key: http://www.gregn..net/pubkey.asc