Fresh Jessie Install VLC freezes

Group;

My computer is Dell GX280 with 3 gb ram 500 gb hd, Dell x1300 dvi video card 128 mb memory running on a 23' HP LCD monitor. I've got a multi-boot system with Windows 7 Pro on sda1, Xubuntu 13.10 on sda6, Kubuntu 13.10 on sda7 and Debian Jessie Xfce on sda8.

Running VLC on all distros, Debian is the only one that freezes up. I was playing a recorded tv show in mp4 & avi format, they play normally on the other systems. I'm not sure of the versions on all VLC packages. It freezes where I"m normal screen or full screen mode. All I can do is Ctrl-Alt-f1 and kill the program.

Please let me know what I need to change to fix this problem.

Thanks

Robert