Re: PXE install, without internet?

On 1/11/2014 5:57 AM, Scott Ferguson wrote:
> On 11/01/14 22:07, Stan Hoeppner wrote:

>>> You can create local mirror of repos.
>>>
>>> http://www.debian.org/mirror/ftpmirror
>>
>> Yes, with 20 machines to install via PXE boot, setting up a local mirror
>> is the best method by far.

> Mirror means even packages *not* required, apt-caching allows a local
> repository of only the packages that are actually required, with the
> additional benefits of handling multiple releases and repostories.

I was using the term "mirror" much more loosely here, in the old
installer terminology.  I.e. "select your mirror".  I.e. simply copy the
source files from the DVD he already has and export the proper directory
tree structure via an httpd.  Maybe I should have said "setup an
alternate installation source" instead.  Doing this would likely be
faster than sharing the DVD, as was mentioned, and having 20 clients
seek the drive head to death, taking days for the installs to complete.
 Get it on a hard drive and it'll be much faster.

--
Stan