Re: PXE install, without internet?

On 11/01/14 22:07, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
> On 1/11/2014 4:40 AM, Артур Истомин wrote:
>> On Sat, Jan 11, 2014 at 01:21:30PM +0530, Anubhav Yadav wrote:
>>> Hey folks,
>>> I managed to convince my staff to switch to debian from windoze, and they
>>> agreed. So I managed to install a PXE server and successfully booted debian
>>> installer simultaneously on 20 machines using dhcp server.
>>>
>>> But they required an active internet connection to fetch packages over a
>>> mirror, and the bandwidth was very low, so at then end of the day, only one
>>> PC was able to set up.
>>>
>>> So is there a way to boot an entire 4gb dvd-iso from a server, so that I
>>> can install it on PC connected on a network??
>>
>> You can create local mirror of repos.
>>
>> http://www.debian.org/mirror/ftpmirror
>
> Yes, with 20 machines to install via PXE boot, setting up a local mirror
> is the best method by far.

Mirror means even packages *not* required, apt-caching allows a local
repository of only the packages that are actually required, with the
additional benefits of handling multiple releases and repostories.

Presuming that at least one box will be built before building all:-
If time and bandwidth are concerns just "apt-cdrom add" then install
packages on one box (gateway?) then "apt-get install apt-cacher-ng",
followed by "cp /var/cache/apt/archives/*.deb
/var/cache/apt-cacher-ng/_import", then go to
http://localhost:3142/acng-report.html and click on "Start Import".
on that box "# echo "Acquire::http { Proxy "http://localhost:3142";; };"
> /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/90proxy
Now when you install packages on that box it'll check apt-cacher-ng first.

You can add then add all the contents of the DVD/s to apt-cacher-ng:-
http://www.unix-ag.uni-kl.de/~bloch/acng/html/howtos.html#howto-importiso

In the preseed.cfg for the pxe set the repositories as normal and the
proxy as $apt-cacher:3142

If all the boxes are identical then simply copying or networkmounting
/var/cache/apt/archives/*.deb and, dpkg --set-selections might save some
time and bandwidth also.

Kind regards