Re: image download with jigdo

On Fri 10 Jan 2014 at 13:19:50 +0000, Steve McIntyre wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 10, 2014 at 10:30:41AM +0100, Klaus Jantzen wrote:
> >On 01/09/2014 03:41 PM, Steve McIntyre wrote:
> >>
> >> The images you have created are for use only alongside other discs in
> >> a set; they contain extra packages that you could add to your system
> >> via "apt-cdrom add; apt-get install $package".
> >
> >The installation manual does not say that.
> >In the description of the various possibilities of downloading debian
> >there is the section where the production of the jigdo-iso-image is
> >described. At the end it directs the reader to the installation manual.
> >There nothing is said about the difference between using a 'normal'
> >bootable iso image and using the jigdo-iso-image.
> >Thus I assumed they are equivalent.
>
> Apologies if I've caused any confusion here - the jigdo-created images
> are *exactly* the same as what you'd have if you downloaded the ISO
> directly. You've just picked some DVDs from the middle of a set,
> that's all. Only the first DVD in a set is bootable, the rest are just
> there to hold more packages for users to install.

If your explanation was added to

   http://www.debian.org/CD/jigdo-cd/

any confusion could be avoided. How about

   The jigdo-created images are exactly the same as what you'd have if
   you downloaded the ISO directly. But note, only the first CD or DVD
   in a set is bootable, the rest are just there to hold more packages
   to install.

after "Once you have downloaded the images and written them to CD .....".