Re: image download with jigdo

On 01/09/2014 03:41 PM, Steve McIntyre wrote:

>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> You've quite probably downloaded and burnt them correctly. It's just
>>> that neither of those images is *meant* to be bootable. That's your
>>> problem. If you want to boot an installation DVD, you want
>>> debian-7.3.0-amd64-DVD-1 (i.e. the first in the sequence).

Where could I have found the information about this essential difference?

>> Thanks for the quick reply with the essential information.
>>
>> Then what would one do with the image thus created?
>
> The images you have created are for use only alongside other discs in
> a set; they contain extra packages that you could add to your system
> via "apt-cdrom add; apt-get install $package".

The installation manual does not say that.
In the description of the various possibilities of downloading debian
there is the section where the production of the jigdo-iso-image is
described. At the end it directs the reader to the installation manual.
There nothing is said about the difference between using a 'normal'
bootable iso image and using the jigdo-iso-image.
Thus I assumed they are equivalent.

>> For me that seems to be too much hassle, so I downloaded the  netinstall
>> cd and that works.
>
> OK... The netinst *is* designed to be bootable and it contains the
> Debian installer and a small set of packages: the base system. DVD-1
> contains the installer a larger set of packages. That's the only real
> difference.

Thanks anyway.

--
K.D.J.