Backups - Was: clonezilla WORKS !

On Fri, 2014-01-10 at 15:29 -0500, Paul Cartwright wrote:
> anyway, I had JUST LAST WEEK created a clonezilla backup on another
> partition ! it took me about 3 tries to figure out which menus and how
> to do the restore ( I almost said YES to wiping out my entire 2nd
> drive), but I finally got it, did it, rebooted, and 30 minutes after
> it crashed, I am BACK!! yay!!!

Clonezilla, rsync etc. do work, but why spending that much brain power
for learning and/or trial and error? HDDs are inexpensive nowadays, so I
prefer to do a simple tar.gz from another Linux install, without any
kind of smart sync. I simply backup everything and simply restore
everything. I still use the MBR style and to backup the MBR I use dd.
The only good advice IMO is to mount the backup device as read only,
when planning to clean the broken install and to restore it from a
backup. I once behaved as idiotic as possible and "cleaned" the broken
install + the backup :D. The only better thing than tar I know is the
FreeBSD's dump command. I wonder if there is a similar tool for Linux
too, since dump makes a snapshot before doing the backup, so you can
backup a complete FreeBSD install while using it at the same time.