Re: Backups - Was: clonezilla WORKS !

On 01/10/2014 04:15 PM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> Clonezilla, rsync etc. do work, but why spending that much brain power
> for learning and/or trial and error? HDDs are inexpensive nowadays, so I
> prefer to do a simple tar.gz from another Linux install, without any
> kind of smart sync. I simply backup everything and simply restore
> everything. I still use the MBR style and to backup the MBR I use dd.
> The only good advice IMO is to mount the backup device as read only,
> when planning to clean the broken install and to restore it from a
> backup. I once behaved as idiotic as possible and "cleaned" the broken
> install + the backup :D. The only better thing than tar I know is the
> FreeBSD's dump command. I wonder if there is a similar tool for Linux
> too, since dump makes a snapshot before doing the backup, so you can
> backup a complete FreeBSD install while using it at the same time.
clonezilla was very simple to use. You just boot the liveCD, select the
partitions you want to backup, and the partition you want to back it up
to. I have a 900GB partition that I have the backup in, and it just
creates a folder like this:
ls -l /extra
total 24
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root  4096 Jan  2 08:54 Debian-2014-01-02-13-img

under that folder is all the files. I actually backed up 2 partitions at
the same time, root and /home. It let me restore just the one, so that
was great. Literally all I had to do was boot clonezilla, select the
from partition, the to partition, hit OK ( twice, to be sure) and 5
minutes later, my debian / partition was back like it was 2 days ago.
rebooted and everything was great! I think that was actually faster that
doing an rsync, or almost as fast. I can see updating that clonezilla
every time a new kernel comes out, maybe more often... since my /home is
separate, my mail & files isn't affected.. even if it was 3-4 weeks old,
an apt-get update && apt-get upgrade would fix everything.

--
Paul Cartwright