Re: audio dropouts still

On Fri, 2014-01-10 at 15:30 +0000, Klaus wrote:
> no doubt you know for instance this (self-proclaimed) Classic
> paper from 2000:
> <http://wiki.linuxaudio.org/wiki/lowlatency_deprecated>

No, I didn't know this paper, but it reminds me to report an issue with
linux-rt within the next days. Instead of building a kernel, I installed
it from the Debian repositories. However, before reporting it, I'll test
a "normal" kernel from the repositories and I'll build a kernel-rt. Some
days ago I noticed something wicked regarding to IRQs.

However, Zenaan shouldn't need linux-rt or even a full preempt one.

Unfortunately he already experienced the same issues with pulseaudio, so
indeed, the issue isn't jackd related and indeed CPU frequency scaling
unlikely is the culprit.

On Sat, 2014-01-11 at 02:53 +1100, Zenaan Harkness wrote:
> A completely unrelated anecdote, the Lenovo X220 laptop which is my
> workstation at the moment, has built-in Intel analog audio line out,
> and another in the docking station - there is a constant low-level
> crackle on both lines (not noticeable when music is playing, but very
> annoying when no other sounds are playing), which reflects also
> whenever mouse is moved, and other events - clearly crap analog audio
> subsystem somewhere; thankfully, the external monitor (displayport,
> but appearing in alsa as eg "card 1: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 3:
> HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]") routes audio, apparently digitally, and this has a
> relatively very clean line! Still, I would have thought modern laptops
> would have solved the audio out problem by now - evidently built in
> audio is not driven by consumer demand enough.

The issue on the analog side, the crackle, especially when moving a
mouse, is something that happens for prosumer and professional audio
cards too, not too much audible on sane levels, but it's there too. I
don't know how loud it's for onboard devices, since I disable onboard
sound. Hm, next time I'll listen if it affects my ADAT device too, in my
homestudio it's not much more than a meter away from the PC. I didn't
make music at home for a long time. Likely that even such an optically
connected, galvanically isolated device will suffer from digital
electric smog.