MTP and Android phones

Hi, i'm running Wheezy. I used to have an older Android phone that Just Worked with my system, but I upgraded it to one running Android 4.2, and now i can no longer figure out how get it to talk to my computer.

Ive Googled and tried to read up about MTP, but im still not sure how to get things working--different sites have you download and compile things from scratch, which seems crazy that you can't just plug your phone in. I did install mtp-tools, but i can't find mtpfs that many of the sites say you need to have.

All i want is to be able to plug my phone in via USB and have it visible in the filesystem, whether through Thunar or on the commandline. Being able to have it work with Banshee wuold be nice too, but i assume that if the phone is visible then it will work with any tools.

Thank you.

Jen