Re: Connot load Wheezy in a "virgin" desktop -- long

Apologies for a massive amount of snipping.

On Mon 06 Jan 2014 at 18:25:24 -0500, Ken Heard wrote:

> I would appreciate any advice from anybody out there as to how to make this
> computer operational.  Once again I apologize for the length of this post.

You say you installed a basic system but your idea and mine about such a
system might differ. I would boot a netinst image in expert mode, set up
the network and, when partitioning, make a single ext4 filesystem on one
of your disks. That is, no RAID, no LVM, no xfs, no encryption. Just
plain and simple and straightforward; you can change this later when you
know where you are up to.

Install the base system but, at the tasksel stage, no extra software.
Then get GRUB and boot into the new system. Spend some time exploring it
with top, free, lspci and lsusb. Install some small packages: gpm, less,
mc etc.

Now for X: xserver-xorg isn't a metapackage; xorg is. You'll want a
window manager too. So

   apt-get install xorg fvwm

and then 'startx'. Play about with what you have; reboot a few times to
make sure everything (mouse, keyboard, display etc) works.

You want something more complex to use with X ? Xfce?

   apt-get install xfce4 lightdm

If you decide to reinstall and add some bells and whistles you should
now have a reasonable idea how operational the machine is.