Re: MTP and Android phones

On Tue, 07 Jan 2014, Dr. Jennifer Nussbaum wrote:

> Ive Googled and tried to read up about MTP, but im still not sure how
> to get things working--different sites have you download and compile
> things from scratch, which seems crazy that you can't just plug your
> phone in. I did install mtp-tools, but i can't find mtpfs that many of
> the sites say you need to have.

Yeah, MTP is a pain.  I wish there was at least a choice for a standard
USB generic mass storage mount option...  oh well.

The best MTP software I've found is go-mtpfs.  Unfortunately I don't
think it is packaged, but it is easy to build and put in $HOME/bin/
It uses FUSE like the other options, but is _much_ faster.  You can find
it here:
  https://github.com/hanwen/go-mtpfs

If you're going to build it yourself, you'll need to install these
packages first:
% apt-get install golang-go golang-src libusb-1.0-0 libusb-1.0-0-dev

There seem to be pre-compiled binaries you can download too (YMMV with
those).  You'll probably need to install the libusb-1.0-0 library
anyway.

I just mount/unmount manually.  One could write a udev/udisks2 rule to
automate this I suppose.

HTH,
-- Brad