Half-OT: New to Debian (I'm a Gentoo user) - static IP vs DHCP

On Fri, 2014-01-03 at 07:29 -0500, Tanstaafl wrote:
> (Debian and FreeBSD being the top contenders)

There's a Debian BSD port too:

https://wiki.debian.org/Debian_GNU/kFreeBSD

And Arch Linux provides a FreeBSD port like approach:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_Build_System

I made bad experiences with kFreeBSD. My "main" distro is Arch Linux. I
prefer Arch over Debian regarding to my exotic need, audio production
and the license policy of Debian, e.g. Linuxsampler doesn't fit to
Debian's policy regarding to it's license. IOW awesome software often
needs to be compiled by your own for Debian and it could become an
issue, when using Debian stable.

Debian Linux is closer to FreeBSD (I also have a FreeBSD install), than
Arch Linux is, since Arch comes with sytemd. I suspect that Debian will
drop init scripts too.

For servers likely Debian stable is the best way to go, but I don't have
experiences with this and if you need to compile software from upstream
you anyway need to switch to testing or unstable.

Just some thoughts,
Ralf