Re: Half-OT: New to Debian (I'm a Gentoo user) - static IP vs DHCP

On 1/3/14, Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net> wrote:
> On Fri, 2014-01-03 at 07:29 -0500, Tanstaafl wrote:
>> (Debian and FreeBSD being the top contenders)
>
> There's a Debian BSD port too:
> https://wiki.debian.org/Debian_GNU/kFreeBSD

> For servers likely Debian stable is the best way to go, but I don't have
> experiences with this and if you need to compile software from upstream
> you anyway need to switch to testing or unstable.

Not true.

I compiled various software for Debian stable, a few years ago, and
git quite a few times last year, and used to regularly compile new
kernels, and years ago even Ardour, all on Debian stable. git only has
about 10 dependencies though (and a few to build the documentation),
so very straightforward.

If the software depends on some libraries that also are newer than in
Debian stable, you might have to compile those too. If your software
you want to compile has lots of new dependencies, your build process
might be a bit daunting and then yes, sid might be a better choice.
But it definitely depends.

Absolutes, are _always_ wrong.

;)