Re: startx + ~/.xsession and no ~/.xinitrc, results in reduced functionality (xfce4, sid)

On 12/13/13, Zenaan Harkness <zen@freedbms.net> wrote:
> On 12/13/13, Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:
>> On Thu 12 Dec 2013 at 17:23:31 +1100, Zenaan Harkness wrote:
>>
>>> What seemed like a good idea, at, the, time ... is longer looking so
>>> good. Any ideas why this odd behaviour would appear as it does?
>>
>> You could try following the advice given in
>>
>>    /usr/share/doc/xfce4-session/README.Debian
>
> This is excellent advice.
>
> Please Note: before these experiments, I simply had ~/.xinitrc, and
> startx worked.
>
> However, I was inspired by what is the new/current "debian way".
>
> On a whim, I removed ~/.xinitrc and ~/.xsession and I have no ~/.xsessionrc
> .
>
> So now things work as well as they did with ~/.xinitrc , but without
> any ~/.x* files! This is good.
>
> Clearly consolekit is started (logout, as well as reboot etc now
> work), my keyboard shortcuts work etc.
>
> This seems ideal - no per-user configuration, and it just works (TM)(C)(R).

This stopped working after a recent upgrade, since I too quickly
allowed apt to overwrite my change in /etc/pam.d/common-session

Is there any reason that the following, from
/usr/share/doc/xfce4-session/README.Debian :

   * install libpam-ck-connector
   * put:

   ----
   session   optional  pam_loginuid.so
   ----

   *before* pam_ck_connector.so in /etc/pam.d/common-session.

is _not_ part of the default install for Debian?

$ dpkg -S /etc/pam.d/common-session
dpkg-query: no path found matching pattern /etc/pam.d/common-session

I guess it must be generated by a script or something. What's the
process or rather command line command for determining which script
created a particular file such as this one?

TIA
Zenaan