Re: [OT] non technical Q: bad or worse. Was: To do the same as Windows safe mode...........

On 02/01/14 05:22, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Wed, 2014-01-01 at 18:02 +0000, Lisi Reisz wrote:
>> On Wednesday 01 January 2014 17:49:59 Brian wrote:
>>> If 'less worse' is a colloquialism it has no charm or character to
>>> lift it out of the lazy speaking category.
>>
>> :-)
>>
>> Lisi
>
> Wow, super-irrelevant to send a smiley as a comment to an OT thread.
>
> However, please watch "Inherit the Wind" with Spencer Tracy. I try to
> translate the German version from memory to English: "We should use
> every word we know, since there are much too less terms everybody is
> able to understand", IOW the style of let's say an Australien native
> English speaker might not fit to the upper class tea slurping people,
> but everybody is able to understand this "incorrect English".
>
> Happy new Year!
> Ralf

Better presupposes good. If something doesn't approach good, e.g.
someone misses the target by 10 metres are they "better" than the person
who missed by 20 metres? Or "less worse". To call the 10 miss "better"
is a version of newspeak.

Grammatically it's correct though it may offend the, um, well, some
people. Can someone nitpick if they don't have lice?.

If your only tool is a hammer the whole world is made of nails.

Kind regards.