Re: [OT] non technical Q: bad or worse. Was: To do the same as Windows safe mode...........

On Wednesday 01 January 2014 17:59:21 Lisi Reisz wrote:
> Previously sent in error to OP.  Sorry, Eike. :-(  One day I shall
> succeed in making my recalcitrant fingers type "l" rather than click
> on anything. :-(
Oh don't worry - I'm not finnicky - actually I'm not even finnish.
Or is that "finicky" - then I'm finished.
I find this thread very amusing, indeed!

> On Wednesday 01 January 2014 12:24:36 Eike Lantzsch wrote:
> > Sorry I got this honest question 'cause I'm not a native English
> > speaker and what is worse: I don't live in an English speaking
> > country what means that some colloquialisms are well over my head.
> > I do not intend to nitpick.
> >
> > I found "less worse" somewhat funny.
>
> I am a native English speaker living in England.  I too have never
> heard "less worse" and the expression jarred.  But there are four
> possibilities:  1) It is an expression that is age dependant
> (like "cool" or "wicked" meaning "good"). 2) It is acceptable in
> some form of English other than English English.  You suggest Scots
> as a possibility.  3) The OP invented it on the fly.  4) The OP
> just made a mistake.
>
> I myself would certainly say "not as bad as".
>
> Lisi
Thanks Lisi
As the gaucho says: "ahora comprendo mas mejor."