Re: To do the same as Windows safe mode...........

On Wed, Jan 1, 2014 at 1:21 PM, Scott Ferguson
<scott.ferguson.debian.user@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 01/01/14 14:56, Charlie wrote:

> You can also speed things up considerably by avoiding the whole DNS
> relay problem altogether by putting the IP address of sites that use
> static addresses into your hosts file:-
> root@vbserver:~# ping -c1 debian.org
> PING debian.org (128.31.0.51) 56(84) bytes of data.
> <snipped>
> root@vbserver:~# echo "128.31.0.51 debian.org" >> /etc/hosts
> Now connecting to debian.org doesn't involve the computer having to ask
> the DNS for the IP address as it gets it from the (hosts file in less
> than 128ms).
>[...]

Satellite's asymmetric speed is problematic, of course. You should
look for timeouts to adjust. You might even want to run your own DNS,
and even a local reverse proxy, if there are certain places you visit
regularly.

About the "safe" mode business, I would guess they are either looking
at a checklist that makes no reference to any alternative to MSWindows
and says, "Check the problem in safe mode first!", or they want an
excuse to throw the problem back in your lap. If you want to humor
them, boot a live CD to test the speed, or shut down X11 and use a
textmode browser like lynx.

--
Joel Rees

Be careful where you see conspiracy.