Re: [OT] non technical Q: bad or worse. Was: To do the same as Windows safe mode...........

On Wed 01 Jan 2014 at 19:22:24 +0100, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> On Wed, 2014-01-01 at 18:02 +0000, Lisi Reisz wrote:
> > On Wednesday 01 January 2014 17:49:59 Brian wrote:
> > > If 'less worse' is a colloquialism it has no charm or character to
> > > lift it out of the lazy speaking category.
> >
> > :-)
> >
> > Lisi
>
> Wow, super-irrelevant to send a smiley as a comment to an OT thread.

A smiley at this time of the year (on a damp, wet day in a country in
the Northern Hemisphere) is most welcome. It displays empathy,
sensitiveness and class.

> However, please watch "Inherit the Wind" with Spencer Tracy. I try to
> translate the German version from memory to English: "We should use
> every word we know, since there are much too less terms everybody is

Did he really say 'too less'? Those were the days when script writers
were atuned to the English languaage. Can we pretend  he said 'fewer'?
Otherwise my high estimation of American English is going to go down.

> able to understand", IOW the style of let's say an Australien native
> English speaker might not fit to the upper class tea slurping people,
> but everybody is able to understand this "incorrect English".

No class in England (and we still have 'em) slurps tea.

> Happy new Year!

And to you, too.