Re: To do the same as Windows safe mode...........

On 01/01/14 18:22, Charlie wrote:
> On Wed, 01 Jan 2014 15:21:24 +1100 Scott Ferguson sent:
>
> <snipped>
>
>> Don't know if you check here, but your ISP was having some recent
>> problems:- https://www.skymesh.net.au/advisories/
>
> Thanks again Scott.
>
> I think that my ISP is a lot of the problem, but then is it the IPSTAR
> satellite people as well or just them?

When you get a connection, and Java, those online tests will give you a
fair idea.

> The support tech probably wasn't aware of the satellite issue and was
> going to run my system through trouble shooting. I've done that
> previously, several times, only to discover there was nothing wrong with
> my system and others were complaining about the same kind of issues, as
> now.
>
> But we're shackled to satellite here, sadly. I always thought this ISP
> just a tad

> better than some of the others.

Less worse. You meant less worse. :)

> But the very best was when on Dialup through Telstra. Once they had
> dealt with me a couple of times, their support centre would put me
> straight through to the techs the moment I gave my name. They just told
> me what they wanted me to try, and I did it in Linux.
>
> This tech just wilted and said there were many reasons why they don't
> support Linux. They used to have some Linux savvy techs there, but
> maybe they were disillusioned?

Restructure. These days when you call you're talking to BigPond, which
is TeleTech support. If you call Telstra line faults you're talking to a
Julia Ross temp. Level 2 and 3 are usually *nix savvy but you won't get
to talk to them.

Ironic when you consider the part Linux plays in almost any ISP's
busines. In your case (SkyMesh) the DNS and mail are running on Debian.
Makes it possible much of the other system does too. :)

<snipped>

Kind regards