Re: To do the same as Windows safe mode...........

On 01/01/14 14:56, Charlie wrote:
> On Wed, 01 Jan 2014 14:03:45 +1100 Scott Ferguson sent:
>
>> On 01/01/14 13:07, Charlie wrote:
>>> On Wed, 01 Jan 2014 12:31:00 +1100 Scott Ferguson sent:

<snipped>

>>> Active Internet connections (w/o servers)
>>> Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address           Foreign Address
>>> State tcp        0      0 192.168.2.5:43464
>>> mail.skymesh.com.a:pop3 TIME_WAIT
>>> tcp6       1      0 localhost:46195         localhost:ipp
>>> CLOSE_WAIT
>>
>> Nothing else using the network.
>
> That's all that shows up. Could there be something hidden? I'm hoping
> not.

Yes there 'could' be something hidden. Finding it now would be like
do-it-yourself eye surgery unless you monitor it using a tranparent
proxy. Default Debian installations are better protected than most.

>>> I don't have sufficient java's for this site, only these:
>>>
>> <snipped>
>>
>> # apt-get install openjdk-7-jre
>
> Will install that when I get some speed on my Internet connection,
> otherwise it can't even find the server.

You clearly 'had' one problem with DNS. Try using another DNS. e.g. edit
/etc/resolv.conf and put as the first line:-
nameserver 8.8.8.8

(or add it as the second nameserver)

When you do have network try testing other DNS, including the Skymesh
ones, using namebench:-
# apt-get install namebench

Some info on your ISP's DNS:-
http://www.dnsinspect.com/skymesh.com.au

You can also speed things up considerably by avoiding the whole DNS
relay problem altogether by putting the IP address of sites that use
static addresses into your hosts file:-
root@vbserver:~# ping -c1 debian.org
PING debian.org (128.31.0.51) 56(84) bytes of data.
<snipped>
root@vbserver:~# echo "128.31.0.51 debian.org" >> /etc/hosts
Now connecting to debian.org doesn't involve the computer having to ask
the DNS for the IP address as it gets it from the (hosts file in less
than 128ms).

>> OR:-
>> https://wiki.debian.org/Java/Sun  (Oracle instructions)
>
> <snip>
>
> Thanks once more for the follow up.
> Have a good new years day.

Thanks. Great day so far in Canberra. Hope the weather's fine down South.

Don't know if you check here, but your ISP was having some recent problems:-
https://www.skymesh.net.au/advisories/

> Charlie
>     --
<snipped>