Re: To do the same as Windows safe mode...........

On Wed, 01 Jan 2014 14:03:45 +1100 Scott Ferguson sent:

> On 01/01/14 13:07, Charlie wrote:
> > On Wed, 01 Jan 2014 12:31:00 +1100 Scott Ferguson sent:
> >
> > <snipped>

Thanks again for the follow up Scott.

> >> Expect very low latency with a satellite connection.
>
> Sorry, I meant "high" latency (long wait for a response).
>

> > Is 976ms low or is that high?
>

> Low (quick).
>
> > Is the lower number like 662ms high?
>

> No. Lower.

This is what I thought but expected I might have got it wrong, which
happens often enough. :-(

<snip>

> >> To see what else (TCP) is using the network:-
> >> $ netstat -t
> >
> > Active Internet connections (w/o servers)
> > Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address           Foreign Address
> > State tcp        0      0 192.168.2.5:43464
> > mail.skymesh.com.a:pop3 TIME_WAIT
> > tcp6       1      0 localhost:46195         localhost:ipp
> > CLOSE_WAIT
>
> Nothing else using the network.

That's all that shows up. Could there be something hidden? I'm hoping
not.

> > I don't have sufficient java's for this site, only these:
> >
> <snipped>
>
> # apt-get install openjdk-7-jre

Will install that when I get some speed on my Internet connection,
otherwise it can't even find the server.

> OR:-
> https://wiki.debian.org/Java/Sun  (Oracle instructions)

<snip>

Thanks once more for the follow up.
Have a good new years day.

Charlie
    --
	Registered Linux User:- 329524

	Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit
	atrocities. .......Voltaire