Re: SSD as Cache?

Paul Johnson:
> On Fri, Nov 8, 2013 at 8:12 AM, basti <black.fledermaus@arcor.de> wrote:
>
>> Can this cache moved to SSD?
>> Months ago I read articles about SSD and Flash Memory like:
>> - "Disable logging on SSD"
>> - "Disable cache on SSD"
>> - "Don't swap on SSD" ...
>>
>> And today?
>> How long will the SSD work without data loss?
>
> How many writes is the SSD rated for?  I'd still generally consider flash
> as generally read-only or disposable.

The answer to your question is device-dependent. For my old Intel X25m,
Intel guaranteed 5 years of service with 20GB writes per day. That is
quote a lot for desktop/notebook use cases. More recent models have a
shorter lifetime because of increased NAND density.

J.
--
If all my friends had Playstations I would buy a Nintendo to prove my
individuality.