Re: Reg: Mysql used instead of MariaDB

maderios grabbed a keyboard and wrote:
> On 08/04/2013 07:14 AM, Balamurugan wrote:
>> Dear Team,
>>
>> I am a highly admired fan of free software movement and its philosophy.
>> I am having a doubt in Debian 7.1 stable release about MySQL addition.
>>
>> Since MariaDB has become the open source replacement for MySQL, why was
>> MariaDB not included in the latest release? Is there any reason behind?
>> Since now MySQL is a part of Oracle, I believe we need to move towards
>> MariaDB and support it fully.
>>
> Hi
> I agree with you. I don't like to wait... I don't understand myself why
> Mariadb is not available in Debian. Opensuse, Fedora, Wikipedia migrated
> from Mysql to Mariadb, 100% free software. I downloaded and installed
> official .deb from Mariadb site.  It works with Wheezy and Jessie, on my
> two PC. I use it with Digikam and Amarok. Mariadb works like Mysql, same
> commands. Installation keeps  mysql-common and  libmysqlclient18.

If you're really keen on using it Right Now instead of waiting to see if
they're going to include it as part of the Debian distribution at some
point, the nice folks at MariaDB do have a package repository for Debian
systems that you can add to your system and then you can use apt-get or
whatever to install it.  Their website provides instructions on how to
do this.

               --Dave