Re: Reg: Mysql used instead of MariaDB

On 08/04/2013 07:14 AM, Balamurugan wrote:
Dear Team,

I am a highly admired fan of free software movement and its philosophy.
I am having a doubt in Debian 7.1 stable release about MySQL addition.

Since MariaDB has become the open source replacement for MySQL, why was
MariaDB not included in the latest release? Is there any reason behind?
Since now MySQL is a part of Oracle, I believe we need to move towards
MariaDB and support it fully.

Hi
I agree with you. I don't like to wait... I don't understand myself why Mariadb is not available in Debian. Opensuse, Fedora, Wikipedia migrated from Mysql to Mariadb, 100% free software. I downloaded and installed official .deb from Mariadb site. It works with Wheezy and Jessie, on my two PC. I use it with Digikam and Amarok. Mariadb works like Mysql, same commands. Installation keeps mysql-common and libmysqlclient18.
Greetings
--
Maderios