Re: Ctrl-alt-del to restart window manager with xfce in wheezy? [CONCLUSION]

On Jun 15, 2013, at 11:22 AM, Brian wrote:

At last! Udev does not know about what you have done, so one way of
beating it into submission is by rebooting. A gentler approach is

  udevadm trigger --subsystem-match=input --action=change

Sorry for all the fuss...

It's not a fuss but an interesting situation. Nowadays, most users would not know of ctrl-alt-backspace as a way of exiting X. The DEs have seen
to that. But, for the present, it can still be used if you know how to
activate it, as you have discovered.

You asked about ctrl-alt-del (or some other key combination) to close X.
Please look at /usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/terminate:

partial default modifier_keys
xkb_symbols "ctrl_alt_bksp" {
   key <BKSP> {
       type="CTRL+ALT",
       symbols[Group1] = [ NoSymbol, NoSymbol, NoSymbol, NoSymbol,
Terminate_Server ]
   };
};

Changing 'key' to 'DELE' might be a thought. Except . . .

I usually activate ctrl-alt-bksp during the post-installation phase when I install/purge/configure stuff I want/don't-want that differs from the default installation. Some of that requires a reboot anyway, so using udevadm isn't necessary ("Don't force it -- use a hammer!") though thanks very much for the pointer. It's clear I've got a lot to learn about this area.

I'm perfectly happy with "ctrl-alt-bksp" -- I just want *some* one key combination I can remember to use for that purpose.

Discovering that "ctrl-alt-del" started the screensaver was fun. It will be useful!

Is /usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols a good place to look for other interesting key combos?

Thanks to everyone for all the help!

Rick