Re: Ctrl-alt-del to restart window manager with xfce in wheezy? [CONCLUSION]

On Jun 12, 2013, at 1:10 AM, Rick Thomas wrote:

Having asked the question, I owe the group answers.

Unfortunately real life intruded its ugly head last week. I do plan to do the tests and report back as soon as I can.

Well, I finally got a couple of free hours this afternoon. Here's what I did.

The system I was having trouble with was one of my "testing" systems, so there wasn't much of importance on it. So I decided to re-install Wheezy from scratch and see how a really "fresh out of the box" system behaved. (For the record, the original system had some left-over cruft from previous experiments, and I don't know exactly how that might have affected the things I was seeing.)

(1) I installed Wheezy from scratch with desktop=xfce from the netinst CD.

(2) I looked at /etc/default/keyboard and noted no "XKBOPTIONS" line.

(3) I tried "ctrl-alt-del" and "ctrl-alt-backspace". The second did nothing. The first started a screensaver.

(4) I ran "dpkg-reconfigure keyboard-configuration" and changed the "Use Control+Alt+Backspace to terminate the X server?" option from "no" to "yes".

(6) I looked at /etc/default/keyboard again and noted there now was a line with XKBOPTIONS="terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp".

(5) I tried "ctrl-alt-del" and "ctrl-alt-backspace" again (without logging out or rebooting). As expected, no change from (3),

(6) I logged out, logged back in. I tried the experiment again. No change from (3).

(7) I rebooted and logged back in. I tried the experiment again. This time "ctrl-alt-backspace" restarted the X server. And "ctrl-alt- del" still started the screensaver.

So *somewhere* in the cruft on the old system was *something* that interfered with restarting the X server. But I don't have the energy to track it down. It will just have to remain one of life's little mysteries.

Sorry for all the fuss...

Rick