Re: Reinstall nouveau driver

Alan Ianson <agianson@gmail.com> writes:

> On Fri, 31 May 2013 12:59:49 -0700
> Joe Riel <joer@san.rr.com> wrote:
>
>> Alan Ianson <agianson@gmail.com> writes:

>> > Did you use nvidia-xconfig to create your xorg.conf? The debian
>> > packaged nvidia driver works well for me.
>>
>> When I first upgraded to Wheezy, I believe that is what I did (used
>> nvidia-xconfig to create xorg.conf) and was unable to start X.  This
>> time, after installing an nvidia driver using
>>
>> sudo aptitude -s install nvidia-kernel-dkms install
>> linux-headers-amd64
>>
>> I manually created /etc/xorg.conf.d using the directions at
>> http://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers.
>>
>> All went well.  After a reboot, X started, the 3D stuff is working,
>> scrolling in chrome is a lot faster.  Fonts have changed slightly, it
>> seems.  I wouldn't say for the better but I'll adapt soon enough.
>
> My desktop looks like it always has. Maybe you can adjust the
> anti-aliasing or hinting of fonts on your desktop.
>
>> Only thing I've noticed that is obviously worse is that the virtual
>> terminal font is now big and ugly.  I recall that the same occured
>> when I previously tried an nvidia driver in Squeeze.
>
> When using the nvidia driver I have always used vga=794 on my kernel
> command line and I get good response time. I have tried the new
> "gfxmode=" way of doing it but I find I have slow a terminal then. I do
> need to experiment more with that though.

My /etc/default/grub file contained

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet vga=775"

should I remove the vga=775 when adding
GRUB_GFXMODE=1280x1024
GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=keep

I used dbeinfo when inside grub, after a reboot, to query the available
resolutions.  The highest I have, apparently, is 1280x1024.  Is there a
way to change the setting when inside grub, so that it immediately takes
place (at least while in grub)?  With the large font, the output of
commands invariably scrolls off the screen.  I tried

set pager=1

that didn't do anything.

> I also run "dpkg-reconfigure console-setup" and choose the "vga" font
> which is what the kernel used to use by default IINM. I'm not sure why
> the default font was changed but i think it supports more languages now
> so the vga font may not work for everyone.

How can I query what console font is in effect?

--
Joe Riel