Email suggestions

Hi, all,

I hope this goes through - I've been having problems lately.

I have a production VPS I'm going to upgrade to Wheezy. However, this VPS has been live for a number of years and has multiple modifications to config files (i.e. dpkg-reconfigure exim4-config won't even run).

So I think the best way to go is just start with a new server, get it running, then migrate everything over. The old server is running Exim4 and qpopper, using MySQL for authentication and mail routing (this I want to keep).

Exim4 is doing fine, so I will probably keep that (although I'm open to other suggestions). However, I've been using qpopper for pop3 but want to switch to imap.

One question: I've been using mbox format because I like keeping the incoming email out of the user's home directory. Additionally, many of the users never sign onto the system other than for email (i.e. no ssh, ftp, etc.), so they really don't need a /home/xxxx directory. However, it seems Maildir is becoming more common. Which do you think would be better?

Next question: Typically mail is not left on the servers, which I understand is one of the advantages of imap. I've been using POP3 (qpopper), but are there other reasons for going to imap?

One more question: with the above in mind, which would you recommend for a imap or pop3 server? I've looked at dovecot and courier; both seem to work. Is there a difference?

And finally - I'm planning to (finally) implement TLS for security (haven't been using it until now). Or is there something better you recommend?

I appreciate the suggestions; I've done a lot of searching and everyone claims to be "best". I'm not a newbie at all (been programming for over 45 years), but a bit naive on the Email side.

TIA.