Re: Reinstall nouveau driver

On Sat, 01 Jun 2013 07:26:08 -0700
Joe Riel <joer@san.rr.com> wrote:

> Alan Ianson <agianson@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > On Fri, 31 May 2013 12:59:49 -0700
> > Joe Riel <joer@san.rr.com> wrote:

> >> When I first upgraded to Wheezy, I believe that is what I did (used
> >> nvidia-xconfig to create xorg.conf) and was unable to start X.
> >> This time, after installing an nvidia driver using
> >>
> >> sudo aptitude -s install nvidia-kernel-dkms install
> >> linux-headers-amd64
> >>
> >> I manually created /etc/xorg.conf.d using the directions at
> >> http://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers.
> >>
> >> All went well.  After a reboot, X started, the 3D stuff is working,
> >> scrolling in chrome is a lot faster.  Fonts have changed slightly,
> >> it seems.  I wouldn't say for the better but I'll adapt soon
> >> enough.
> >
> > My desktop looks like it always has. Maybe you can adjust the
> > anti-aliasing or hinting of fonts on your desktop.
> >
> >> Only thing I've noticed that is obviously worse is that the virtual
> >> terminal font is now big and ugly.  I recall that the same occured
> >> when I previously tried an nvidia driver in Squeeze.
> >
> > When using the nvidia driver I have always used vga=794 on my kernel
> > command line and I get good response time. I have tried the new
> > "gfxmode=" way of doing it but I find I have slow a terminal then.
> > I do need to experiment more with that though.
>
> My /etc/default/grub file contained
>
> GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet vga=775"
>
> should I remove the vga=775 when adding
> GRUB_GFXMODE=1280x1024
> GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=keep

I would try vga=794 first. The difference is that 775 should give you a
1280x1024 x 256 color depth while 794 will give you 1280x1024 x 65k
colors.

The GRUB_GFXMODE=1280x1024 is the way to go now but when I use it I get
slow screen writes whereas vga=794 seems to work well here. I don't
know why that is I'll need to figure it out soon I think.

I got these vga modes from..

http://pierre.baudu.in/other/grub.vga.modes.html

> I used dbeinfo when inside grub, after a reboot, to query the
> available resolutions.  The highest I have, apparently, is
> 1280x1024.  Is there a way to change the setting when inside grub, so
> that it immediately takes place (at least while in grub)?  With the
> large font, the output of commands invariably scrolls off the
> screen.  I tried
>
> set pager=1
>
> that didn't do anything.

Not that I know of, just keep trying till it works the way you want it
to.

> > I also run "dpkg-reconfigure console-setup" and choose the "vga"
> > font which is what the kernel used to use by default IINM. I'm not
> > sure why the default font was changed but i think it supports more
> > languages now so the vga font may not work for everyone.
>
> How can I query what console font is in effect?

If you run dkpg-reconfigure console-setup and go through and don't make
any changes you can see what font and size you have now.

There may be a command to query what your console setup is, but I don't
know.