Re: wheeezy-backports - strange policy?

On Jo, 23 mai 13, 18:59:11, Hans-J. Ullrich wrote:

> If I am correct, then I do not understand, why packages are available in
> wheezy-backports, but not in debian/testing. According to debian behaviour (I
> think the word policy is the wrong choice here), Packages from unstable will
> be tested, then, if no big bugs appear, get into testing , and when it is
> stable enough, are put into stable.

Yes, but only when stable is released (approximately every 2 years).

> And if I am still correct, that ALL packages in wheezy-backports are aimed for
> the use only in debian/stable, there will appear things, I do not understand.
>
> 1. So, how can it be, that i.e. libreoffice in wheezy-backports is version 4.0,
> whilst in debian/testing it is still 3.5? And the backported version is from
> unstable, it is 4.0!

Because libreoffice got an exception from the usual backports policy (as
I already wrote). Other exceptions are security updates and the kernel.

> 2. How can it happen, that everyone is telling me, "Do NOT upgrade ALL
> installed packages from wheezy-backports in debian/stable. It will crash your
> system!" ?

Because backports is designed to install only individual packages from
it.

> I think, there is a problem with wheezy-backports policy. I like the idea very
> much, and I think, it is good, but if I am correct in all my points, I think,
> it is not easy for unexpierenced users, to use wheezy-backports at all.

Which is why it is not added to your sources by default and installing
packages from there requires manual overriding.

Kind regards,
Andrei