wheeezy-backports - strange policy?

Hi folks,

I made my minds about wheezy-backports now for a long time, and allow me, to
open this discussion.

Pleae correct me, if I am wrong: IMO wheezy-backports is the successor to
debian-volatile and is intended for use of debian/stable users (aka wheezy at
the moment). As far as I read, packages in wheezy-backports are put into, when
the environment of those is chenged and a higher (and newer version) is
needed. As an example I want to name here clamav (which needs a newer version,
when the virus-database is being updated, some chatprograms like yahoo, ehen a
new protocol must be used or new protocols have to be used, but package
versions in wheezy do not support them).

If I am correct, then I do not understand, why packages are available in
wheezy-backports, but not in debian/testing. According to debian behaviour (I
think the word policy is the wrong choice here), Packages from unstable will
be tested, then, if no big bugs appear, get into testing , and when it is
stable enough, are put into stable.

And if I am still correct, that ALL packages in wheezy-backports are aimed for
the use only in debian/stable, there will appear things, I do not understand.

1. So, how can it be, that i.e. libreoffice in wheezy-backports is version 4.0,
whilst in debian/testing it is still 3.5? And the backported version is from
unstable, it is 4.0!

2. How can it happen, that everyone is telling me, "Do NOT upgrade ALL
installed packages from wheezy-backports in debian/stable. It will crash your
system!" ?

I think, there is a problem with wheezy-backports policy. I like the idea very
much, and I think, it is good, but if I am correct in all my points, I think,
it is not easy for unexpierenced users, to use wheezy-backports at all.

Pleae apologize, if I am wrong and I am happy, when I will be enlightend. :)

Best regards

Hans